Bob Phillips

Take a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html

--

HTH

RP

"Nicole L." wrote in message
So far, that has worked - Thanks!
But what do the double-hyphens mean?
Can you translate the whole string for me, verbatim?
I just like to know, so I can tweak in future for future reference, ya

know.

Thanks again.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

One way normally entered

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(COLUMN(E8:DI8),2)=1),E8:DI8)

will sum E8, G8, I8 and so on

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Nicole L." wrote:

So, using your formula, with my range, here's what I came up with and

Excel
yelled at me -- it's not generating the correct result.

=SUM(E8:DI8*MOD(E8:DI8,2))

Do I need different parentheses or something?

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

Try the following formula. Change the cell range as desired.

=SUM(A1:A10*MOD(A1:A10,2))

A cell can contain up to 32K characters, although only about 1000
will display unless some trickery is used.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Task Lead Nicole"
wrote in message
Can I set up a formula in an xls to add up EVERY OTHER cell in
a row? And how
long can a string in a formula be? (are there limitations?)

I'm getting an error when I manually type in the list of cells
to add up.