Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Franz Verga Franz Verga is offline

Default Calculating cells with text only

Cissy wrote:
I have a spreadsheet with branches and survey answers to calculate. I
want to only count the cells containing text in a certain range for
each branch. The formula I'm trying to use is
=counta(if(a2..k58="Port Malabar",j2..k58)). I keep getting a value
error.

I appreciate anyone's help with this.

Hi Cissy,

First of all I don't understand what you mean for:

a2..k58

if you mean the range from A2 to K58, it should be:

A2:K58

then you have to array enter your formula, i.e. press simultaneously Ctrl +
Shift + Enter; so your formula should be:

=counta(if(a2:k58="Port Malabar",j2:k58))

array entered, as described above.

Instead, you could use a COUNTIF formula like this:

=COUNTIF(a2:k58,"Port Malabar")

--
Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.