Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff Biff is offline

Default Complex Nesting

Hi!

Try this:

Make a little table somewhere like this: (I'll use the range G1:H4 for this
example)

.........G...............H
1.....BK............bulk
2.....SL.............sideload
3.....N..............night sideload
4.....OF............OFS

Then use this array formula entered using the key combination of
CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=CHOOSE(MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH("*"&G$1:G$4&"*" ,A1)),0),H$1,H$2,H$3,H$4)

Biff

"logstx095" wrote in message
Hello. I have a spreadsheet with numerous (hundereds) of naming
conventions
in a field that I need to search. One common denominator, though, is that
they will always contain text including either "BK", "SL", "OF", or "N".
By
using the formula =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),LOOKUP("BK",A1)),"BULK", "SIDELOAD"),
this
almost accomplishes what I need, except that there are the 4 conditions,
not
just two.
I need to have a formula test for the text BK, and if that exists, return
the word BULK, if BK is not contained in the cell, the formula should test
for the text SL; if SL is contained in the cell, the return should be
SIDELOAD, thirdly, if the text SL is not found in the cell, the formula
should test for the text N; if N is found, the formula should return NIGHT
SIDELOAD; and finally, if none of the prior 3 conditions is met, the
formula
should return OFS.
I should be able to use the above formula, but I can't seem to get the
syntax correct to nest it all together.
Any help is much appreciated.