Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
The BergerMan The BergerMan is offline

Default Cannot empty clipboard"

I am using Microsoft's Virtual PC in a training environment.

All student computers in our Office 2003 course get a local copy of the same
original Virtual PC VHD (virtual hard drive) files. These files have been
working for some time. Beginning this week, everyone experienced the same
error being discussed in this thread. Drag and Drop, format painting,
complex autofill with formatting, all present the "Cannot Empty Clip Board"
error, then complete successfully after pressing "OK".

I have attempted everything I can find here, or through Google, except for
the Terminal Services hotfix and nothing is addressing the problem. It is
possible that Virtual PC is making the same RDP calls that seem to be causing
problems for Terminal Services, but I am not certain of this.

As a Mentor Instructor and Microsoft Certified Trainer for more than ten
years, I have had my share of frustrations, but the lack of support on this
issue is remarkable.

Both the host system and the Virtual PC are current on service patches,
hotfixes, etc. I have repaired my installation of Office 2003, I have tried
many ways to clear the clipboard although it assures me that it is empty, I
have deleted files in the users profile, I am working with a "Microsoft Only"
image with no third-party add-ons.

Here is a kicker... the "dirty" instance of Excel 2003 on the host machine
works just fine, but the behavior of the application on the Virtual PC's
(who's source files are Read Only) changed this week!

Any thoughts would be vastly appreciated!

--
- William Berger
The BergerMan

"MartinShort" wrote:

Thanks for the notes. It seems to be doing it intermittently today with
no rhyme or reason as to when - Typical!!

A few comments though:

- I am definitely _not_ running getright or flashget (in fact I was
aware of this as a possible cause but had already discounted it in my
case)

- Whilst the insertion of a macro into the start-up procedures for
Excel is a possibility, surely this shouldn't be necessary - this is
curing the symptom rather than addressing the cause!!

- I have tried the suggestion of checking the "Collect without
showing the office clipboard" and haven't managed to form any
opinions as to whether it's working or not. If I get something more
definitive, I'll report back here.

In the meantime, I'd like to leave this open as I still feel that there
must be someone out there who knows the reason *-why-* this is
happening. (Back to the cause rather than only addressing the
symptoms!)

Many thanks to all who have responded so far

Martin

--
MartinShort

Software Tester