Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
logstx095 logstx095 is offline

Default Complex Nesting

Hello. I have a spreadsheet with numerous (hundereds) of naming conventions
in a field that I need to search. One common denominator, though, is that
they will always contain text including either "BK", "SL", "OF", or "N". By
using the formula =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),LOOKUP("BK",A1)),"BULK", "SIDELOAD"), this
almost accomplishes what I need, except that there are the 4 conditions, not
just two.
I need to have a formula test for the text BK, and if that exists, return
the word BULK, if BK is not contained in the cell, the formula should test
for the text SL; if SL is contained in the cell, the return should be
SIDELOAD, thirdly, if the text SL is not found in the cell, the formula
should test for the text N; if N is found, the formula should return NIGHT
SIDELOAD; and finally, if none of the prior 3 conditions is met, the formula
should return OFS.
I should be able to use the above formula, but I can't seem to get the
syntax correct to nest it all together.
Any help is much appreciated.