Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default Excel 2003: date display issue

To clarify I have two sets of dates. Both are written as mm/dd/yyyy.

For the first list, Excel reads the data as a date in the layout of
dd/mm/year.

For the second list, Excel reads the data as 'general' data. The contents
of the cel are not altered when a differnent data type is chosen.

I want to be able to sort the data by year, month, day and have it displayed
as yyyy-mmm-dd (1972-Jul-12).

"Andrew" wrote:

For he second list of dates the cell display does not change if I format the
cell with another date format or change it to a number.

How do I determine the default date format used by my computer?

Is there anyway I can send the data to someone or post it somewhere?

"Dav" wrote:

In the first instance it seems they are being sorted alphabetically, so
are treated as text rather than dates. Does the cell display change if
you format the cell with another date format or change it to a number
format?

what is the default date format on the computer you are using within
your operating system? Is this effecting you.

You probably need to look at the datevalue or date functions to convert
your dates to the required format

Regards

Dav

--