Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TryfanMan TryfanMan is offline

Default if and sumif

Hi,

This is a similar question to one posted a few posts ago. I think the
best tool for the job here is an array formula. This allows you to sum
based on multilpe criteria. An example is:

=sum(if($A$2:$A$200="July",if($B$2:$B$200="Food",$ C$2:$C$200)))

Press ctrl & shift when you have entered all the arguments to tell
Excel you
want it to be an array forumla. You will know if it has worked because

it will put braces ( { } ) around the function in the formula bar.

This example assumed your months are in column A, category in column B
and the value you would like to sum in column C.

It would be better to reference your sum criteria to cells instead of
inserting it directly as I have above.

Good luck.

wrote:
I am putting together a budget spreadsheet and would like to have one
expense tracking spreadsheet.
In my budget sheet I want to run check two pieces of data in the
expense sheet. I want to check the month and the category of an expense
then pull it over into the budget sheet. I am currently using the sumif
function to call by category but I also want to check the month. My
goal is to have a budget tab for each month and one expense tab in
order to do this I need to get the sum of the information based on the
month column and the category column. Ie I need all the food expenses
for July.

Thanks for the help,