Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default Concatenate Nightmare!

"dee" wrote:
I have tried both the concatenate function and the A1&B1, for example,
method. In two separate workbooks, I have two different problems!

1. In one workbook, only the formula is displayed. As I enter it, it
refers to the cells referenced in colour, etc., as always, but as soon as I
hit Enter, only the formula is displayed, not the result.

One guess: The formula cell was (unknown to you, of course) earlier
pre-formatted as Text. Try formatting the cell as general or number, then
re-confirm the formula (eg click inside the formula bar, press ENTER again).
The formula must be re-confirmed after the formatting before it'll work.

2. In another workbook, the result is displayed, however, in many cells,
only the last 2 or 3 characters in the 2nd cell referenced is displayed.

The concat result returned by the formula could be exceeding the cell's col
width. Either try widening the col or format the cell to wrap text (via:
Format Cells Alignment tab check "Wrap text" OK)

--
Max
Singapore