Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Grant Reid Grant Reid is offline

Default Multple criteria dilemma

Hi

Many Thanks to all who responded. Your help is much appreciated. Unfortunately the goal posts have been shifted and I now have to
rethink my approach to this problem. Once again, any help would be much appreciated. I'm now required to embed this spreadsheet into
another product (Crystal Xcelsius - a dashboarding product that sits on top of Excel) and therefore things become much more rigid. I
cannot use VBA in the spreadsheet, I cannot use any the menu options neither can I make use of functionality such as pivot tables. I
am restricted to entering/deleting/modifying data in 5 cells and producing 12 different results by means of functions.

I now have my data in A5:G100 and need to sum the numeric data in G5:G100 that meets criteria I have A2:E2. Sometimes I'll need sum
the data that meets all 5 criteria, sometimes I'll need to sum data that meets just one, sometimes three etc etc. My data now has an
additional column, this contains the month. The layout is like this (row 5 through row 100);

A B C D E F G
Row 5 Year Acc Clnt Prod Rev Month Amount

My critera will sometimes look like this
A B C D E
Row 1 Year Acc Clnt Prod Rev
Row 2 xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

sometimes it will look like this
A B C D E
Row 1 Year Acc Clnt Prod Rev
Row 2 xxxx xxxx xxxx

sometimes like this

A B C D E
Row 1 Year Acc Clnt Prod Rev
Row 2 xxxx

etc etc.

So I still have the same problem, how to sum the data in F5:F100 when the number and position of criteria vary and if I had to
produce this result in one cell, DSUM would be the ideal solution. But now I have to produce a result for each month of the year,
based on the same criteria entered in A1:E2. I somehow need to append this additional "Month" criteria to the original criteria and
produce 12 seperate results in 12 different cells.

I've attempted to create 12 different criteria areas, one for each month, adding the month to my criteria for each and "Paste
Linking" to my original criteria in A1:E2. This works fine as long as all five criteria are entered in A1:E2. As soon as I remove
one of the criteria, the corresponding "Paste Linked" criteria shows 0 and the expected results are not returned.

Once again, any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards - Grant