Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Scott Zane Scott Zane is offline

Default lookup formulas to obtain multiple results

I was aware of that method, but when I'm dealing with a very large list
of several thousand entries, it would be easier to just type in what I'm
looking for and let Excel spit out everything that matches up with it.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Scott

"CLR" wrote in
:

One way might be to just use the Data Filter AutoFilter
feature.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Scott Zane" wrote in message
7.131...
I'm trying to figure out a way to use any of the Lookup formulas to
produce ALL matches that meet a specified criteria. To give you a bit
of an idea what I'm trying to do, here is an example below:

A B
1 Name Residence
2 Adam Los Angeles
3 Bob Costa Mesa
4 Charlie Anaheim
5 Doug Los Angeles
6 Earl Fullerton
7 Frank Santa Monica
8 George Los Angeles
9 Hank Burbank
10 Jeff Los Angeles

In the example above, I have a list of 10 people, 4 of whom reside in
"Los Angeles". If I want to setup a column on another worksheet that
lists everybody who lives in a specified city (in this case, "Los
Angeles"), how do I go about making the result look like the
following on the new worksheet?

1 Name
2 Adam
3 Doug
4 George
5 Jeff

I know how to use the MATCH formula to find "Jeff" when using "Los
Angeles" as the Lookup_Value, but I can't figure out how to make
subsequent rows show the next person in the list who matches that
criteria (I want somebody NOT named "Jeff" to show up instead).

I've Googled as well as sifted through over 3 years worth of posts
directly in my newsreader, and couldn't find anything that really
helped me out.

I'm still new at Visual Basic, but if I have to create a VB Macro to
produce the results I want, I'm willing to take a stab at it.
Otherwise, a simple (or not so simple) formula that I can just enter
in a particular cell would be ideal.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Scott