Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff Biff is offline

Default simple formula not working

This is one of my least favorite things to try to "guide" someone through!

Biff

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
Like everything pertaining to computers, you must pay attention to *all*
the
details.

Those 2 suggestions for 'fixing' the cells that you mentioned, one was to
multiply using a cell containing a *1*, while the other was to add an
*empty* cell ... right ?

Try this test.
Say you enter this formula along side Column D.
In E5, enter:
=ISNUMBER(D5)

What do you get returned in cell E5?
TRUE
or
FALSE

Copy the formula down Column E and see what returns you get for the rest
of
the cells.

If they're all FALSE, you *know* that they're *not* numbers.

There's a possibility that the empty cell you picked to try to correct the
situation the first time might not have been formatted to General.

Try again, but this time, pick an unused, empty cell, and YOU format it to
currency, and add the dollar signs and whatever decimals you wish.
Now, enter a 1 in this cell.
Does it look OK, like this $1.00
Just for fun, try the ISNUMBER formula on this cell and see if it comes
back
TRUE.

If everything looks good (correct), now go on and fix Column D using this
cell.
Since the $1.00 already entered, use the multiply option.
--
HTH,

RD

"Charles Shapiro" wrote in message
Thanks Biff. I did as you suggested and still the formula reports 0.00.
The cells were formatted currency. I changed the cells to numbers and

when
I type the
=SUM(D5:D679) it puts a blue box around all those cells. As soon as I
hit
ENTER, the box goes away and it says 0.00.. I guess I was wrong on it

being
a simple formula? :)

The other reply said almost the same thing, except I was told to MULTIPLY
instead of ADD and it made them all 0.

What am I doing wrong? Was it wrong to just highlight the cells D5 to

D679
and format them as NUMBERS and then shouldn't the formula work? It still
says ZERO.

Thanks.

..Chip..

"Biff" wrote in message
Hi!

In cell D680 which is one cell after the end of the data in column D:

put =sum(D:D)

Don't do it that way. If you do you'll end up with a circular
reference.

Use:

I also tried =sum(D5:D679)

But your problem is probably that the numbers in that range are really
TEXT.

Try this.......

Select any empty cell that has not been preformatted. The default
format
is GENERAL.
Goto the menu EditCopy
Now, select the range of numbers D5:D679
Goto the menu EditPaste SpecialAddOK

That *should" convert TEXT numbers to NUMERIC numbers and your formula
should now work.

Biff

"Charles Shapiro" wrote in message
Hi All.

I want to add up a column. From what I read I can do it two ways. In
cell D680 which is one cell after the end of the data in column D:
put =sum(D:D) which is suppose add up the column. I also tried
=sum(D5:D679) , but it says $0.00 Does a formula for currency need to

be
written another way? It does show the $$ in the total in cell D680.

I'm
confused, this should be simple?

Thanks for any help..

..Chip..