Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
KL KL is offline

Default Using text for the range in AVERAGE function

I would use the non-volatile INDEX:

=AVERAGE(INDEX(A1:A100,D1):INDEX(A1:A100,D2))

where
D1=3
D2=10

if the column is also variable, then

=AVERAGE(INDEX(A1:H100,D1,E1):INDEX(A1:H100,D2,E1) )

where
D1=3
D2=10
E1=1

Regards,
KL

wrote in message
ups.com...
Basically I'm building a text string using various functions that ends
up looking like a reference:

textstring might look like "A" & "3" & ":" & "A" & "10"
(The actual way I build up this string uses several different functions
to get the column and rows I need)

I then want to use this string in the AVERAGE function.

AVERAGE(the textstring)

Is there a simple TEXT to ADDRESS RANGE function that anyone knows
about?

Thanks!

Domenic wrote:
I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but if C2 and D2 contain
VLOOKUP formulas and return the text A2 and A6, respectively, you could
use the following formula...

=AVERAGE(INDIRECT(C2&":"&D2))

Hope this helps!

In article om,
wrote:

I'm trying to use a text string as the range in the AVERAGE function.
The AVERAGE function doesn't seem to like this.

For example:

=AVERAGE("A2" & ":" & "A6")

(my real sheet uses VLOOKUP to derive the "A2" and "A6" references, but
if you can get this simple text range to work, I can expand from there)

I found one way that uses INDIRECT and ADDRESS, but this seems
cumbersome.

= AVERAGE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(2,1) & ":" & ADDRESS(6,1)))

Anyone have a simpler way to use text as the range input for the
AVERAGE function?

Thanks!