Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Vince Vince is offline

Default entering data using - between numbers without converting to da

This is a problem with Excel.
Excel should have an option to accept exactly what you type.
I have requested microsoft to remove the automatic change when it sees 1-2,
1-2-3 etc
Others and I have the same problem in copying and pasting.
--
Vince

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

Format the cell(s) as Text prior to data entry, or precede the
data with a single apostrophe ('). The apostrophe will not show
in the cell, but will in the formula bar.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Heather" wrote in message
I am trying to enter data into a cell using - between numbers
for example
1-30-4400, excel is converting this number into a date, I can't
change the
way I enter this data, how can I make excel stop converting
this?