Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Default insert date

Glad to hear you got it working Larry. Yup, my weekend is going
good............I got the whole week off (without pay). I'm 67 and just
moved 11,200 pounds of marble chips by hand, filling in our flower
beds........really looks nifty, but I can hardly move now <g

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote in message
Chuck, yer a prince. I hope your wekend went well. Best to you and your,

larry

"CLR" wrote:

Ok Larry...........I checked it out a little more here at

home..........the
only difference is that unless you want to have a different List on each
sheet, then you have to give the List a RangeName on one sheet.........I
used "MyList" so the code works with that but yu can change it if you

want,
or use separate lists on each sheet, according to your
needs...........here's the code for both of the macros to work
together.........must be put in worksheet module of each sheet you want

them
to work in.........

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'Macro will add Validation to a Dropdown list to any blank selected cell

in
'column D
ActiveCell.Select
If ActiveCell.Column = 4 Then 'Limits macro action to column D
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
ActiveCell.Select
With Selection.Validation
.Add Type:=xlValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop,
Operator:= _
xlBetween, Formula1:="=mylist" '$J$1:$J$5" 'J1:J5 is location

of
the list
.IgnoreBlank = True
.InCellDropdown = True
.InputTitle = ""
.ErrorTitle = ""
.InputMessage = ""
.ErrorMessage = ""
.ShowInput = True
.ShowError = True
End With
Else
End If
Else
End If
'Automatically inserts today's date in cell in column C when selected
'if the cell was empty. Does not overwrite occupied cell.
If ActiveCell.Column = 3 Then 'Limits macro action to column C
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
Selection.Value = Date 'Insert today's date in Target cell
End If
Else

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote in message
Oh. . . o.K. I can do that, now I want to have the same code in each
worksheet of the workbook,correct? i.e. I already have the date code

you
provided in there and have tried eliminating the end sub between them,

seems
it does not want to work this way.

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'Macro will add Validation to a Dropdown list to any blank selected

cell
in
Column E
ActiveCell.Select
If ActiveCell.Column = 4 Then 'Limits macro action to column D
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
ActiveCell.Select
With Selection.Validation
.Add Type:=xl ValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop,
Operator:= xl Between , Formula1:="=$E$1:$E$50" 'E1:E50 is

location of
the list
.IgnoreBlank = True
.InCellDropdown = True
.InputTitle = ""
.ErrorTitle = ""
.InputMessage = ""
.ErrorMessage = ""
.ShowInput = True
.ShowError = True
End With
Else
End If
Else

Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'Automatically inserts today's date in cell in column C when selected
'if the cell was empty. Does not overwrite occupied cell.
If ActiveCell.Column = 3 Then 'Limits macro action to column C
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
Selection.Value = Date 'Insert today's date in Target cell
End If
Else

I have been looking to learn more about this and have found some info

about
this and found some info in "CONTEXTURES" web sight dealing with

dynamic
lists that will update whenever something is added. Ilike that feature

and
am
also trying to figure this one out. I'll get eventually!

"CLR" wrote:

Hi Larry........
That's a Change-event macro that goes in a Worksheet module, not a

Regular
module like module2. Right click on the sheet tab, then choose

ViewCode,
then paste it in the window that appears..........

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'Macro will add Validation to a Dropdown list to any blank selected

cell
in
'column D
ActiveCell.Select
If ActiveCell.Column = 4 Then 'Limits macro action to column D
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell

empty
ActiveCell.Select
With Selection.Validation
.Add Type:=xlValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop,
Operator:= _
xlBetween, Formula1:="=$J$1:$J$5" 'J1:J5 is location of

the
list
.IgnoreBlank = True
.InCellDropdown = True
.InputTitle = ""
.ErrorTitle = ""
.InputMessage = ""
.ErrorMessage = ""
.ShowInput = True
.ShowError = True
End With
Else
End If
Else

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote:

Hi chuck,
I put the following in a new worksheet module( module 2):

[...]

I am getting an error at:Operatorxl Between for := . I hae tried

change
the syntax on this but it will not stop showing an error. Any

ideas?
thanks

"CLR" wrote:

Happy to help Larry, and thank you kindly for the

feedback..........I enjoyed
your story too...........the best to you and yours as well.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote:

chuck,
Thanks, my wife and I agree, we have the same philosophy and

enjoy
it much.
Sometimes we will be out at a restaurant and see someone or a

couple and get
the waiter to just give us the bill, telling them only it is

taken
care of,
it's great to see their smiles and amusement. 'course one time

did this
when I spied a young man and his son, turns out they were

having a
birthday
party upstairs with 15 people! what a joyous surprise; we were

blessed with a
good income then and thought little of it except to chuckle

and
swear to be
more aware next time. May you and yours have a great

Independence
day weekend

"CLR" wrote:

Oh, I don't drink or smoke since my Triple, but thanks

anyway.
One night
long ago I was on my way home from work at 10pm on the

freeway
as I lived all
the way across town, when my car quit running. I was poor,

the
gas read "E"
so I figured I had run out and hitch-hiked a couple of miles

a get-off at
a service station. The guy who picked me up waited for me

and
turned around
and drove me back to my car and waited for me to get it

started.
It wouldn't
start, so he said "I've been a Ford mechanic for 20 years,

let
me look at
it". He did and immediately found the Distributor cap to be

broken in two
pieces. He said wait and went back to his car and returned

with
a brand new
one, put it on and the car started fine. I offered a Steak

dinner, my 1st
born, anything in return for his kindness. He said only,

"help
someone else
whenever you get a chance"........If you really want to

thank
me, then you do
the same, "help someone else whenever you get a chance".

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote:

Say Chuck, I know I'm gonna owe you a six pack or

something by
the time I'm
done, do you happen to have a quick little bit of code

that
will open a drop
down each time an empty cell is clicked? Something that

allows
the user to
select from a list of pre-written entries? Just askin'

Thanks
again; oh and
what kind of beer or wine drink?

"CLR" wrote:

Glad you got it working...........and thanks for the

feedback.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote:

Thanks chuck, You're great, I have it now. Your loyal

servant : ) , larry

"CLR" wrote:

You're doing fine, it's just that this particular

macro
goes in the Worksheet
module, not the Workbook and not a regular

module..........rightclick on the
sheet tab, then Viewcode, then in the small window

on
the left at the top of
the editor window, choose Worksheet, then paste the

code
in the large editor
window..........and if you copy/paste the macro out

of
your email, don't
forget to add the End Sub at the end.....post back

if
you still have problems.

hth
Vaya con Dios,