Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B Kevin B is offline

Default How do I format Zip codes to print properly in a Mail merge?

Formatting a numeric value only changes the appearance of the number, but not
its value. So, even though you can see leading zeroes in you spreadsheet
they are not part of the data.

You can insert a helper column to the right of the zip code column and then
use this formula to convert you zips to text and pad with a leading zero if
necessary:

=IF(LEN(A1)=4,"0"&TEXT(A1,"#"),TEXT(A1,"#"))

Substituting the first zip code cell for A1 in the formula above and copy
down the helper column to the last row having zip codes. Then copy the
entire column containing your coversion formula and then move to the first
cell containing you original zip code values. Click EDIT in the menu, select
PASTE SPECIAL, click the VALUES option button and click OK. Delete the
helper column and you're back in business.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Omega" wrote:

I have created an Excel database containing addresses (more specifically zip
codes). I then have attempted to mail merge them into Word and have been
having a heck of a time getting the zip codes to print properly. Each time I
attempt to print the labels (ie., zip code 08080) the first zero of the zip
code will not not print for some reason. I have gone back and tried to
change the format of the cell that holds the zip code and still it does not
work. I have changed the format from Zip to custom (00000) and still no
success. Any suggestions from others who have had the same problem and found
a remedy would be greatly appreciated.