Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Emoshag Emoshag is offline

Default Help needed replacing multiple cells from a list of values.

Hello,

I need to replace the contents of about 90k cells across 14 worksheets.
The problem is that it is a very, very large set of data and it is in
multiple columns.

Example:

8 of the tables will have a primary key column (this was originally an
Oracle export). The other tables have a foreign key column. Now.... I
need to replace all the occurrences of each primary key with a new
value.

If this is a snippet of a table:

PK_COL NAME AGE
IK104T Dave 30
M10TY Paul 61
P7G34I Carl 42

Then what I want to do is replace all occurrences of IK104T, M10TY and
P7G34I with 1, 2, and 3. Then find ALL occurences of IK104T, M10TY and
P7G34I across the other worksheets and replace them with 1, 2, 3 (the
smae values I did the original replace with).

I originally thought there would be a way if I copied every single KEY
(every column these numbers might show up) and put it in a separate
table in Column A. Then, in that new table in Column B, put
incrementing numbers (1,2,3,4,5,etc.). Then use a function of some
sort to execute a command like:

"Find value equal to Column A"
"Replace Column A with Column B"
"Find next value equal to Column A"
"Replace Column A with Column B"
"If no more Column A.... next"

Does this make sense? I have been doing this manually for a long time
and this is just too much for the time alloted to my project.

Any ideas?

--
Emoshag
Emoshag's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22190