Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Richard Buttrey Richard Buttrey is offline

Default VLookup function to right!

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:20:02 -0700, hile trotman
wrote:

Thanks Richard but this won't work either, I can't specify an array with cell
numbers because the number of rows will change from report to report and it
can be in the thousands and i don't know where the reporting dist # will be
in column d, the array will have to be $D:$E. But it doesn't work. It's
picking up the first name in column E. I had false as a parameter which means
the list does not need to be sorted but i don't think it wants to work. I've
seen other ways in this forum by using INDEX and MATCH, but I don't
understand the posts or how these 2 functions work together so I haven't been
able to use that either.

Any other help you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, I only specified up to row 100 as an example. If you can't be
certain of the number of rows, just change the last reference to
65536, i.e.

=VLOOKUP($A$9,$D$9:$E$65536,2,FALSE)

HTH
__