Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Josh Craig Josh Craig is offline

Default Compare Old & New Product List (i.e. VLOOKUP)

It really depends on exactly how you want to compare the data.

Let's say each list has a product name and price:
old list new list
sheet1: sheet2:
name1 2.30 name4 2.20
name2 4.10 name3 4.10
name3 0.10 name1 0.20
name4 1.00 name2 1.00

If you wanted to compare to see if the price was the same on items in both
sheets you could do this in say column C on sheet1:

=IF(b1=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A$1:B$4,2,FALSE), "same price","price changed")

Then fill down.

The VLOOKUP command tells excel to find the value from A1 in the table of
new prices on Sheet2 and return the value from column 2 on Sheet2. Then it's
just a matter of comparing this value to the old price (B1 in my example)...

There's plenty of other things you could do to compare just depends on
exactly what you want.

Hope that makes sense.

"Hal" wrote:

Hello,

Once a week I receive an updated price list from our supplier reflecting
newly added products, deleted products, and new pricing for certain products
in an Excel spreadsheet format. The list consists of approx. 1,500
products.

Is there a way to compare the Old list with the New one and somehow identify
the new changes in a few quick steps? Someone mentioned using "VLOOKUP" but
I'm not too familiar with it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

cww