Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default Need "average" help

look in help index for ISERR

=if(iserr(formula,0,formula)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Kycajun" wrote in message
Sorry - one last question. How do I get the result to read 0, if there is
nothing entered for that person? Thanks again.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

this is an array formula that must be entered using ctrl+shift+enter
instead
of just enter
=AVERAGE(IF(J2:J23="lastname",L2:L23))

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Kycajun" wrote in message
I am trying to calculate an average of numbers, based on who owns those
numbers. In summary, D4:D1000 will have a person's last name.
M4:m1000
will
have a number entered into it. I want to average M4:M1000 but only
using
the
numbers that correspond with a single last name. For instance, the
last
name
Smith appears in d4:d100; I want to average only those numbers
associated
with the Smith name. Also, I need to do this without sorting. My
results
are
on another sheet in the workbook so my information is contained in
sheet
1,
but my formula (results) is located in sheet 2. Thanks in advance!