Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jrm jrm is offline

Default link cells to documents that aren't created yet

Hello friends,

Every morning our finance department creates a new spreadsheet for the
previous day's financials. I then take the information I need from the
spreadsheet and copy it over to new workbook that I keep upto date with my
departments daily numbers. I would love to "automate" this process by
settign up my spreadsheet to automatically link my department's sheet with
the appropriate cells on the finance department's sheet. The problem is
this: The finance reports are created new every morning, so there is no way
(that I know of) that I can tell my departmental spreadsheet to link to this
new document until it is created. the finance dept. creates this document in
the same folder every day and only changes the number at the end of the
report to reflect the date. This means that I can know the exact file path
for any day of the eyar so I could hypothetically setup my deptmental sheet
for the rest of the year. Is there a way to link the cells I need with a
document that doesn't yet exist? Does this make any sense?