Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
chappo555 chappo555 is offline

Default Ranking multiple columns by 1000th inch

Gudday to all excell gurus, I am new to this forum so please be gentle.
AND yes I have searched before posting however cannot find accurate
solution.

My question is.

I have the following data (measured in 1/1000th of an inch)(I have
rounded down in this example though!!!)

Name A B C D E AGG Real RANK
AAAAA 0.11 0.12 0.09 0.12 0.27 0.142 2
BBBBB 0.12 0.114 0.08 0.135 0.261 0.142 1
CCCCC 0.35 0.17 0.17 0.16 0.11 0.192 3

copied down to a minimum of 100 rows (names) The AGG is the sum(a:e/5)

When u use RANK(agg,agg1:agg100,1) It ties Names AAAA and BBBB as they
both have AGG of 0.142. Problem is the rule book states ties are split
by the smallest of the results for each competitor in columns A to E.
In this example BBBB is 2nd as he has smallest result in Column C being
0.08.

I have tried the AGG+1/min(a:e) and still end up with incorrect
results. The problem is the numbers are so small and you have to split
ties all the way to the 100th person involved. I cant use sort either
as the data has to be printed in alphabeticall name order all the way
to 100 names with their ranks recorded against the names.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

cheers and thanks
chappo555

--
chappo555