Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Franz Verga Franz Verga is offline

Default vlookout and if

wrote:
I am basically having 2 times 2 columns of data that i have to compare
and find if it matches (i am comparing existing inventory with the
inventory we would most urgently need):

it would look approximately like this:

1 2 3 4 5
Part# quantity Part# quantity
V90mdm 3 vxcvxc 1
Gmcrd 7 CDROM 0
Opmse 7 CDRW 1
Wlopm 3 dfdf 3
Ethernt 8 dsa 0
CDROM 2 DVDRW 2
CDRW 1 Ethernt 8
DVDRW 2 fasd 0
Th128 4 Gmcrd 4
Th256 6 Opmse 0
sag 3
Th128 4
Th256 6
V90mdm 1
vcx 7
vcxz 7
vxcz 0
Wlopm 0

where I would have to find out in column3 if the column 1(part#) and
column 2(part quantity) exactly match with the columns 4 and 5.
column3 would have to display answers like yes (enough stock) or
no(not enough stock) or even display the number of missing parts.
however it might also happen that there is no part in column4 at all.

I have already tried with various formulas including if and isna and
vlookup but couldn't make it work for 2 criteria together. i only
managed to find out the match from column 1 and column 4 and display
it as yes or no in column3.

does anyone have any suggestions, please?

Thx.

Tom

Hi Tom,

try this formula in C2 then copy down:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(D2,$A$2:$B$19,2,0)),"",IF(B2-VLOOKUP(D2,$A$2:$B$19,2,0)0,"OK",ABS(B2-VLOOKUP(D2,$A$2:$B$19,2,0))))

where $A$2:$B$19 are the columns with existing inventory (columns 1 and 2 in
your example), while D2:E11 are the columns with needed inventory (columns 4
and 5 in your example), and column C is where to check if existing inventory
has enough stock for your needs (your column 3).

Adjust references as for your conveniences.

--
Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao