Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sheila D Sheila D is offline

Default Text comparison - closest match

Vllokup looks for an exact match if the Range_lookup argument is set to
False. If you set it to true it will look for the closest march but your
table must be sorted on the first column. I'm not sure it will do what you
want but give it a try. HTH
SHeila
www.c-i-m-s.com

"pappu" wrote:

I have data in 2 worksheets, say WS1, WS2

WS1 contains following plus other data (here i used : to separate
cells)
--------------------------------------
FirstName : LastName : UserID
--------------------------------------
Serine S H : Koay : WKOAS
Roger : Groebi : WGROR
Jill : Neubronner : WNEUJ
Su Ann : Low : WLOWV
--------------------------------------

WS2 contains following plus other data (here i used : to separate
cells)
--------------------------------------
FirstName : LastName : UserID
--------------------------------------
Serine : Koay :
Roger A : Groebi :
Neubronner : Jill :
Su : Ann Low :
--------------------------------------

I need to find userID in WS2 for corresponding names from WS1. I joined
First and Lastnames in both the worksheets, used

VLOOKUP and got the userid in WS2, if the names matches exactly (not
shown here). But if the names doesn't match exactly, as

above, VLOOKUP doesn't work. Eventhough we can see the names are there,
but either contain additional/less initials,

reversed first and last name etc.

Is there any other way I can get the result?

|Filename: TextStringComparison.txt |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4977 |

pappu
pappu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36041