Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
David McRitchie David McRitchie is offline

Default Excel file with hyperlinks takes a long time to open over the network

Hi Didier,
Don't know why you have the problem with hyperlinks, sounds
like you might be using Excel 97. You might try converting them
the worksheet hyperlinks. Actually you've not said where the
hyperlinks are connecting to like html pages on the web, to
a cell in another worksheet, to a cell in another workbook, to
a cell in a closed workbook. I was kind of assuming you meant
a link to an HTML page on the www.

---
HTH,
David McRitchie,

"Didier P" wrote in message ...
Hi All,

I have an Excel (Excel 2000 SP3) file (2 Mbytes) with about one thousand
hyperlinks to word document or excel document. This Excel file is situated
on a machine on our network.
- When I open this Excel file from this machine : it takes about 5 minutes
- When I copy this file from this machine to my PC : it takes about 15
seconds
- When I open this Excel file from my PC : it takes about 5 seconds
- When I delete all the hyperlinks in this Excel file and I open it from the
network machine it takes 45 seconds

Could you explain why it is so long to open a file with Hyperlinks? And
secondly, is it possible to bypass this "long time" to be able to work over
our network?

Thanks for your help

Didier