Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
HEK

Default Problem with BUBBLE CHART scale and legend

Hi kees:
Even without VBA or a Macro you can get you want I think.

(1) Excel refers the bubble sizes to the lowestvalue in the chart. So if
you add a bubble with size 0.1 to the Bubble1 series you get bubble sizes
with the right comparable values. So, add the 0.1 buble and make this bubble
invisible by changing the pattern and line colour to "none". Apparently,
nothing has changed but now the 1 to 4 values are sized compared to this 0.1
bubble.

(2) Not sure you can get what you want, but you could add data labels to the
bubbles, appearing close to the bubbles. The data lables could reflect the
names of the series, or the size. This is preferable anyway as it wld take
less efforts from the user because the data are close to the visual display.
Also, you could define for all bubbles different colours.

HTH,
GL,
Henk

"keesberbee" wrote:

Lately I am working with Bubble Charts and I noticed two problems that I
cannot solve.

(1) Comparing multiple Bubble Charts that have dissimilar bubble size
data is not possible. The problem is that if you use the same size
multiplier, the bubbles in each chart have the same size, despite the
difference in bubble size values. For example the bubble sizes of the
next 2 tables are similar:
X1: 2, 3, 4, 5; Y1: 4, 3, 2, 1; Bubble1: 4, 3, 2, 1
X2: 2, 3, 4, 5; Y2: 4, 3, 2, 1; Bubble2: 0.4, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1
Of course there are some ways to overcome this problem, but they cause
a lot extra work or are not dynamic. I am looking for a Macro or VBA
procedure that generates bubble sizes in multiple charts that are sized
according to the same bubble size scale.

(2) I also noticed that Bubble Charts in Excel dont have a proper
legend: they only inform about the third dimension (e.g. revenues). I
am looking for a legend that informs the user about the bubble sizes
and their values or ranges. A fourth dimensions can even be included in
the charts: €˜colour of the bubbles. Also for this matter I would like
to have a clear legend. My question: is there any macro or VBA
procedure for the bubble legend?
Hopefully, someone can help me: you will help me a lot!

--
keesberbee
keesberbee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35899