Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TammyS

Default IF statement help

Thanks for the explanation. I enjoy the challenge of putting together a
formula that actually works but it can be VERY frustrating.

"JMB" wrote:

I'm glad it gave you some ideas. The OR function will return TRUE if any of
the conditions inside the ( ) are true, otherwise FALSE. The entire OR
statement is the first argument for the IF function. There is a great deal
of flexibility in nesting functions in this manner, they just cannot exceed 7
levels and must return the correct data type (in this case it has to be
TRUE/FALSE since that is what is expected for the first argument of the IF
function).

OR(R110<"", R119<"", R128<"", R137<"") evaluates to TRUE/FALSE

S163<=0 also will evaluate to TRUE/FALSE. As long as the result is boolean
(TRUE or FALSE) it does not matter if it is the result of a conditional
statement (using =, <, , or < operators) or is just the return value of
another function (such as OR, AND, the various IS functions, etc).

"TammyS" wrote:

=IF(S163<=0,"ENTER DATE, SAVE AS","")
This is what I came up with as a temporary fix before I posted here. Your
formula, although I don't understand it, gave me the idea to post a revision
of my original formula in a blank spot by the name of each shift, so the
message would appear in the immediate line of sight. Thanks for your help.

"JMB" wrote:

=IF(OR(R110<"", R119<"", R128<"", R137<""),"SAVE AS","")

"TammyS" wrote:

It's already password protected. I was on vacation, she was filling in for
me and on the second or third day she forgot to save the master as a new
workbook for that particular day until she was practically done with the
process. I was hoping for a message of some kind to pop up before she got
very far without creating a new workbook. Thanks anyway.

"JMB" wrote:

File/Save As/Tools/General Options - put in a password to modify. Without a
password the orginal file will be read only and the open file will have to be
saved as a copy using Save As. I believe excel removes the password on the
copy, so another user could open that file (the copy) and make changes, but
your original should remain intact.

"TammyS" wrote:

I have a master workbook that I SAVE AS each day as a new workbook. The
person who fills in for me didn't create a new workbook and made a big
mess--I'm still finding formulas and cells that were changed. I formatted
the date cell to be bright pink if it remains empty, but I would like a "SAVE
AS" message to appear if anything has been typed in cell R110, R119, R128, or
R137. The date cell is S163. I have tried various formulas but got error
messages or not the result I wanted. I would appreciate any help or a better
suggestion to deal with problem. Thanks.