Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Del Cotter

Default Thickness of error bars

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
nsv said:

Thanks Del, but it does not work.

47.4 0 0.002941166
47.6 1 0.077203612
47.8 7 0.666342319
48 18 1.891031666
48.2 13 1.764581964
48.4 5 0.541410283
48.6 1 0.054620138
48.8 0 0.001811844

This is my data. First column is the x-axis labels, second is the
y-values for the bars (or y-error bars) and third is y-values for the
continuous line.

The line and bar graph use the row number for x-value. If I combine the
bar and the xy-scatter line they will not overlap as they should. The
second column wil be put in x= 1 to 8 while the third column values
will lie around 48-point-something.

After you've made one column and one scatter range, there are three
things you still need to do. First, go into the format dialogue of the
category axis (the one for the column range), and uncheck the box marked
"Value (Y) crosses between categories".

Secondly, go into the dialogue for the Secondary value axis (the one for
the scatter range), and manually set the minimum and maximum to 47.4 and
48.8 respectively. Now the axes for the column and scatter ranges match
each other.

Finally, create a new x and y range on your spreadsheet for the scatter
range, so it doesn't have to line up with the column range any more. Now
you are free to create interpolated values:

Hist
47.4 0
47.6 1
47.8 7
48.0 18
48.2 13
48.4 5
48.6 1
48.8 0

curve
47.4 0.00294117
47.5 0.008
47.6 0.07720361
47.7 0.300
47.8 0.66634232
47.9 1.200
48.0 1.89103167
48.1 2.000
48.2 1.76458196
48.3 1.000
48.4 0.54141028
48.5 0.200
48.6 0.05462014
48.7 0.003
48.8 0.00181184

I made those ones by hand and eye, so they're probably not very smooth,
and you'll want to calculate a smoother curve yourself.

--
Del Cotter