Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bondi

Default Use a formula to delete part of a text string?

Josh Craig wrote:
Hi I was just wondering if I could use a formula to delete part of text in a
cell after a certain string of text appears within that cell where the number
of characters before the certain text varies for example:

Big Fat Cat-brown-2803
Small dog-brown-705
Large sheep-brown-106
Small cat-brown-1803

I was looking for a formula so that everything after "-brown" and "-brown"
itself is is deleted. I can only think how to do this where there is a
consistent number of characters before or after the phrase I want to delete,
but unfortunately I don't have that luxury.

One way would to use something like this: (With text in A1)

=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-SEARCH("-brown",A1,1))

Regards,
Bondi