Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Default Custom number formats in TEXT function

Maybe this will perform as you wish............

=TEXT(Sheet2!F16,"$_(#,##0_);$(#,##0)")

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"MatthewB" wrote:

I an using the TEXT function because I want to show a number in a cell
without that number being picked up in SUM functions on the worksheet. I
want the text to display with a dollar sign on the far left of the cell, with
a space for parentheses, and the number on the far right. I'm having trouble
getting the formatting right -- the dollar sign shows up just in front of the
number.

My formula is =TEXT('Sheet2'!F16," _($* #,##0_);_($* (#,##0)")

I thought that the asterisk followed by a space would push the dollar sign
all the way to the left. What is wrong? Thanks!