Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jay

Default How to SUM #N/A

On 27/6/06 10:17, in article , "Franz
Verga" wrote:

Nel post
*Jay* ha scritto:

Or - the second option you mentioned (IF..)

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,range,col,index)),"0",VLOOKUP( A1,range,col,index))

Which will return a zero instead of an #N/A.

The statement checks for an N/A error and returns a 0.

Help search on ISNA for more details.

HTH

-Jay-

No Jay, your formula will not return a zero instead of an #N/A, but a string
which has just one character 0, so should be better write 0 without quotes:
quotes are needed just for text, not for numbers.

Thanks Franz, I didn't realise I'd done that - (wrote it without thinking).

Am I correct in thinking the 0 string could still have been recognised as a
number though, for the SUM?

-Jay-