Gord Dibben

Noreen

You state 1 day and several years but your example shows 1 day and 1 year.

I assume one of the dates in your example is a typo and is really 1 day and 4
years.

This is caused by the two Date Systems that can be used in Excel.

Below is a Dave Peterson posting from a few days ago. It explains your problem
and proposes a fix(es).

Start Dave's post........................

I like to keep my base date as 1900. If you do to, maybe this saved post will
help:

One workbook was using a base year of 1900 and the other was using 1904.
(tools|options|calculation tab|1904 date system)

One way to add those four years back is to find an empty cell, put 1462 into
that cell.

Copy that cell.

Select your range that contains the dates. Edit|PasteSpecial|click Add (in the
operation box).

You may have to reformat the cell as a date (mine turned to a 5 digit number).
But it should work.

You may want to do it against a copy...just in case.

(I'm not sure which one you'll fix. You may want to edit|pastespecial|click
subtract.)

Most windows users use 1900 as the base date. Mac users (mostly??) use 1904 as
the base date.

End Dave's post................

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:15:01 -0800, nbalch
wrote:

All of a sudden I can't cut and paste a column of dates without Excel
changing the number by one day and several years. ie, 6/30/04 becomes
7/1/05. This happens when cut and pasting into another spreadsheet. I tried
paste special but nothing happens.

Thanks, Noreen