Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Default Excel Formula - to calculate highest number from a set of numbers

"Emily" wrote:
I have a list of about 14 numbers in each row, and I need a formula that
calculates the highest number out of a specified set eg. =max(c2, e2, g2,
j2). The problem is that some lines require two cells to have this formula
and when I do that it creates a circular reference. How can I fix this?

Not very sure .. but are you having problems because of merged cells ?
Try removing the merged cells, then re-enter the formula ..
(It's best to avoid using merged cells)
--
Max
Singapore