Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Harold Good

Default using wildcard characters for filenames in externally linked files

Hi,

Is it possible to use the wildcard character "?" in filenames used in
formulas for external links?

For example, I'd like to substitute the hjg with ???
='C:\Excel\[hjgbella.xls]Sheet1'!$A$2

to end up with:
='C:\Excel\[???bella.xls]Sheet1'!$A$2

I can't make it work.

If it can't work this way, can you think of another way I can do this? I
don't think "left" or "mid" or "right" will help me either.

What I need to be able to do is change these first three characters on
several hundred similar files with managers initials. But as managers come
and go, I need to change them without affecting the links.

Thanks,

Harold