Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul Mathews

Default reformat a cell from last name, first to first space last?

Hi Shannon,

Let's say you have a name (in the "LastName, Firstname" format) in cell A1,
you can put this formula in another cell to get the "Firstname Lastname"
format you desi

=RIGHT(TRIM(A1),LEN(TRIM(A1))-FIND(",",TRIM(A1)))&"
"&LEFT(TRIM(A1),FIND(",",TRIM(A1))-1)

(note that the trim function is not necessary if you know for sure that your
original name text will have no leading or trailing spaces)

"Shannon" wrote:

I downloaded a spreadsheet with a column in it containing peoples names.
They are listed with the last name first then a comma and the first name or
first initial. I want to change them to first name and last name sparated by
a space for data base purposes to use in a mailing. Is there any easy way to
do this?