Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Susan

Default How do I work with variances when there is a negative number?

If I do a SUM(B8:B9) and I have two negative numbers it adds them instead of
actually finding the difference between the two numbers, for example the
variance of -43 & -1, it wil give -44 when it should be -42. If I do an
=B8-B9 and cell B9 is negative, it takes two negatives to form a positive and
I still don't get the right answer, for example. 23-(-3) returns 26 instead
of a variance of 20, can someone please help me with how I can set an
equation for two cells variance. Thanks, Susan Hibbs