Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bondi

Default SUM Range based on date

edwardpestian wrote:
SUMIF(A5:AD5,A1,A6:AD6) only returns the data for the date in A1.
Similiar to an HLOOKUP(A1,A5:AD5,A6:AD6,2)

However, the SUMPRODUCT function does work as expected.

Would someone be so kind as to explain to me the SUMPRODUCT function
below in plain English. I understand what is happening inside the
parenthesis (A5:AD5<=A1),A6:AD6). However, I'm not sure about the
leading --.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A5:AD5<=A1),A6:AD6)

Thanks for the help.

ep

--

Hi Edward

The SUMPRODUCT Summs the product of the two arrays.

The return from the (A5:AD5<=A1) would be something like TRUE, TRUE,
FALSE
Summing of that would be difficult.. So the
--(A5:AD5<=A1) returns 1,1,0 and the summing can take place..

Regards,
Bondi