Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
noyb

Default Excel converts formula to number

I don't seem to be asking the question correctly because replys keep
referring to text entry which is not what I am asking, so here goes again.

If you turn off all toolbars you are left with a row of menus (file,
edit, view, etc) and a second row which has a "Name Box", "Insert
Function" icon and an area called "Formula Bar" (at least when I hold
the mouse cursor over it). It is the Formula Bar I am asking about. So,
sometimes when entering data I want to be reminded that the 1000 I see
in the body of the worksheet is actually the result of my entering
10000/10 and usually the formula entered remains in tact in the Formula
Bar but sometimes after entering 10000/10 the Formula Bar and the cell
in the worksheet both show 1000. That is my simple formula is converted
to the result in the Formula Bar. Why?
Thanks

David McRitchie wrote:
Hi ...,
Sorry, certainly should have mentioned that in order to enter
text into a cell, it would be best to format the cells (and such
columns) as Text (format, cells, text). An alternative is
to precede the entry with a single quote.
==
HTH,

"noyb" wrote in message

How come when I enter 10000/10 excel displays 1000 in the formula bar