David Jessop

I think the question is whether your UPS system is opening the file as text
or with Excel. If you open the CSV file with (say) notepad you will find that
the leading zeros are there. If you open it with Excel then I agree, Excel
will (helpfully) re-strip the leading zeros.

Can't think of much more than this.

David Jessop

"RodFCIS" wrote:

I tried it, but it doesn't work. Once the file is saved as a .csv file and I
open it to look at it, the 5 digit zip code with the zero in front of it has
gone back to a 4 digit code without the zero in the new column I added.

"David Jessop" wrote:

Hi,

Easiest thing to do is add a new column and use

=TEXT(A1,"0000000")

(being British I have no idea how many digits you actually need, but change
the latter parameter to the correct number). If you save this as a csv this
will work.

Regards,

David Jessop

"RodFCIS" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2003. I need to create an importable shipping address file
for our UPS shipping system so we can import all the information at once
without typing all 200 addresses by hand. The file to be imported must be
saved in a .csv (comma separated value) format. Many of the zip codes in this
file having leading zeros (New England areas). When I save the .xls file as a
.csv file, the .csv file does not show and/or retain the leading zeros. The
result is that the imported file has a bunch of 4 digit zip codes that get
rejected by UPS and have to be painstakingly hand-corrected.
I have tried virtually every cell format available that makes any sense (and
some no sense!). NOTHING seems to work.

HELP!