Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Default validation list - filter based on selection

One way ..

Data assumed in A1:B5

Select say, D3, and create DV1:
Click Data Validation, Allow: List, Source: one, two

Then define 2 ranges (via Insert Name Define)
one =Sheet1!$B$1:$B$3
two =Sheet1!$B$4:$B$5

Select say, F3, and create the dependent DV2:
Click Data Validation, Allow: List, Source: =INDIRECT(D3)

DV2's droplist will display dependent on selection made in DV1

A sample construct for the above is available at:
http://www.savefile.com/files/8450007
Dependent DV using INDIRECT n defined ranges.xls
--
Max
Singapore
"jen" wrote:
Any help would be appreciated

Col A Col B
one Black
one Blue
one Red
two White
two Orange

Based on a selection of either one or two, I want the validation list to
drop down the list of only the colors in either selection. I have the
categories (i.e., one, two) in a named range 'selection' which is also a drop
down.

Any thoughts?
Thank you!