Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Default Indirect - Why does it seem to only work sometimes?

You would need an add-in, the easiest would probably be to download and
install Laurent Longre's Morefunc

http://xcell05.free.fr/english/

INDIRECT.EXT will work with closed workbooks

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

wrote in message
ups.com...

Peo Sjoblom wrote:
Actually you don't have to remove the leading apostrophe in B42

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
It gets hung up on the apostrophe since it is both part of
workbook/sheet
naming and also a text precedent, remove the leading apostrophe in B42
like this

[Award Stats.xls]Stats'!B304

then in B43 use

=INDIRECT("'"&B42)

also note that if you close the source workbook indirect will not work

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

wrote in message
oups.com...

Two situations:

1) Create two new workbooks
2) In one workbook (Workbook1) enter value of 200 in cell A1
3) In second workbook (Workbook2) enter [Workbook1]Sheet1!A1 into cell
A1
4) In cell A2 in second workbook, enter =Indirect(A1)
5) I get back 200

Situation 2

1) I have two large workbooks
2) In one workbook, called [Award Stats], in worksheet 2006 Stats, in
cell B304, I have value of
2,000,000
3) In another workbook, in cell B42, I have the following: '[Award
Stats]2006 Stats'!B304
4) In cell B43 in second workbook, I have =Indirect(B42)
5) I get back #REF!

Why the difference?

Thanks - is there no way to do this w/o having the other worksheet
open?
The idea here is for a user to type in (or select from a validated
list) the name of a file.
The file will always be of a similar format (2006 Stats, 2005 Stats,
etc.). In some cases
it would be monthly rather than annually - not that that matters.

I'd want to limit the user's work to just picking the file name w/o
having to open all the other files as that sort of defeats the purpose.