Dave Peterson

You changed Bob's code.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("clean",A1:A5))),--(B1:B5=1))

worked fine. Notice the additional double minus signs and parentheses.

The -- changes booleans (true/falses) to 1's and 0's.

Which =sumproduct() really likes.

Margaret wrote:

The numbers in column B are truly numbers. I think the
issues lies with the fact that in column A, I am not
looking for the exact value "Clean" but rather the
string "clean", where I want to match any cell containing
the text "clean" anywhere in the cell (including Clean,
cleaning, cleaned, She cleaned, etc.). If I
substitute "*clean*" in the formula it doesn't work,
either.

My formula for the example below was (ignore any line
wrapping)

=SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(SEARCH("clean",A1:A5))),B1:B 5=1)