Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Default Indirect - Why does it seem to only work sometimes?

4) In cell B43 in second workbook, I have =Indirect(B42)

Try instead in B43: =INDIRECT("'"&B42)

Looks like the preceding single quote in the text entered in B42 was
"swallowed" by Excel, re your line:

3) In another workbook, in cell B42, I have the following: '[Award
Stats]2006 Stats'!B304

--
Max
Singapore
" wrote:

Two situations:

1) Create two new workbooks
2) In one workbook (Workbook1) enter value of 200 in cell A1
3) In second workbook (Workbook2) enter [Workbook1]Sheet1!A1 into cell
A1
4) In cell A2 in second workbook, enter =Indirect(A1)
5) I get back 200

Situation 2

1) I have two large workbooks
2) In one workbook, called [Award Stats], in worksheet 2006 Stats, in
cell B304, I have value of
2,000,000
3) In another workbook, in cell B42, I have the following: '[Award
Stats]2006 Stats'!B304
4) In cell B43 in second workbook, I have =Indirect(B42)
5) I get back #REF!

Why the difference?