Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peter from Novartis

Default Can I create an IF statement that looks for part of a string of te

John, Try "=IF(FIND("version 1";B1;1)"Yes";"No")"
The "1" behind the B1 reference relates to the search start position. The
only problem here is that if the expression is not found, you get an
"#Value!" result. If you are not happy with the error message (like if you
need to use the result in another calculation), you can start from the other
side - try using something like this: =IF(ISERROR(FIND("version
1";B1;1));"No";"Yes") where you first make sure that if the error message
appears, it is an expected result that will have the "No" as an answer.
Josh Craig pÃ*Å¡e:

I want to create a condition for an IF() formula based on part of the text in
an adjacent cell.

For example:

So if B1 contains the phrase "version 1" return one value and return another
if it doesn't have it.

But I don't mean B1 is exactly equal to "version 1" but rather that it
contains "version 1" someone in the text of that cell. Is there some way I
can accomplish this?

Effectively I want it to be able to test if B1=*"version 1" where * equals a
wildcard like on a search engine.