Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Default Problem understanding dependant lookups

" wrote:
The ID is totally dependent on the OD and Wt selections so it does not
need a look up. How would I change things so that once OD and Wt have
been selected the corresponding ID appears in a predesignated cell?
So in my table if an OD of 60 and a Wt of 20 was selected then the ID
should be 50 and nothing else.

Cell 1 Lookup for OD
Cell 2 Lookup for Wt (based on OD selection)
Cell 3 value of ID dependent on selections in Cell 1 and 2.

No problem, think we can use an array formula
to extract IDs based on the DV selections of OD and Wt

Based on the earlier sample ..
Clear* the DVs from C2:C4, then ..
*select C2:C4, click Data Validation Clear All OK

Put in the formula bar for C2
and array-enter the formula by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
(instead of just pressing ENTER):
=IF(OR(A2="",B2=""),"",INDEX($M$2:$M$7,MATCH(1,($K $2:$K$7=A2)*($L$2:$L$7=B2),0)))
Copy C2 down to C4

Revised sample available at:
http://www.savefile.com/files/5427869
Dependent DVs via INDIRECT n Defined Names_1.xls
--
Max
Singapore