Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tim m

Default Inventory Spreadsheet

Here is an example of what I did using a VLOOKUP formula.

In Column A of sheet 1 I had a heading of Serial Numbers, in column B of
sheet 1 I had a heading of Recipt numbers, I entered data in the receipt
number column and left the serial number column blank.

In Sheet 2 I did the exact same thing except I entered Serial numbers and
left the reciept numbers blank.

I then put the following formula in the receipt numbers column of sheet 2

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$2:$B$6,2,FALSE)

When nothing is entered into Serial number column in sheet 1 the results
will be #N/A, however when you enter data into sheet 1 the VLOOKUP function
will look at the serial number (this is the A2 part of the formula), it will
then look at all the information on sheet 1 (in this case I only went from A2
to B6, in your formula it would encompass the whole of the two rows), it then
looks at the 2nd column to the right and sticks this value in the cell.

Give it a test and see if it is what you want.

"creese" wrote:

I was using =IF(C2=Sheet1!B3,Sheet1!C3) which I know is only a true
false type formula, but I am a excel novice. I am not familiar with
VLOOKUP so any help would be greatly appreciated

--
creese
creese's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35508