Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tim m

Default How do you add figure with a word in?

I just did a quick test of adding three cells 10,FREE,5 and the summed answer
was 15 which is as expected. I assume that FREE means it would be equal to a
zero value. What kind of result are you getting that is causing you problems?

"ianonline" wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone 'in the know' advise how to add cell1 + cell2 + cell3 and
get a numerical result when cell3 may contain a word. Cell3 represent
postage and the word, if the order value is is high enough, would be
FREE.

It's not easy as it looks, it seems!

Thank you.

Ian