Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SteveC

Default Counting Consecutive Cells

I undestand your question now. It's because I only want to count
consecutively, left to right. So if Bannanas is only in Col A and Col D, it
only counts 1.

E.g. counting X -- X is always in ColA

X Y Y Y 1
X Y X X 1
X X Y X 2
X X Y Y 2
X X X X 4

Thanks for taking a look...

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

OK, so why is G3, looking for Bananas, only 1, not 2

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SteveC" wrote in message
Hi, thanks for your response. Looks like that formula is counting "off",

but
what I really want is to count whatever is in cell A2 in the range A2:E5,
then return that value in G2. Then consecutively count whatever is in

cell
A3 in the range A2:E5, and return that value in G3... etc... thanks very
much for your time... regards, SteveC

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

assuming the last one should be 2 not 4

=COUNTIF(A2:E2,"Off")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SteveC" wrote in message
This works great: In Cell G2: =MATCH("Off",A4:E4,0)-1

ColA ColB ColC ColD ColE
ColG
Apples Apples Off Apples Off 2
Bannanas Bannanas Bannanas Bannanas Off 4
Coyotes Coyotes Coyotes Off Off 3
Elephants Elephants Elephants Elephants Off 4

Now someone please tell me what formula would work in ColG in the set
below,
with ColG referencing ColA? If possible?

ColA ColB ColC ColD ColE
ColG
Apples Off Coyotes Apples Off 2
Bannanas Apples Elephants Bannanas Off 1
Coyotes Coyotes Off Off Off 3
Elephants Elephants Off Elephants Off 4

just curious if this is possible... thanks....