Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Default How to smart count a table with words in it!

Ok, I'm taking the easy way out on this!

Use a helper column (which you can hide if you don't want to see it) and it
becomes very easy:

Screencap:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4...ntproj23lt.jpg

Biff

"Biff" wrote in message
"Randhir" wrote in message
Hey Biff - this is a really cool formula!! Thanks for the thought into
this

Just so I understand what it is doing (referencing your screenshot):
My understanding of the Proj1 number (b10) is that the total would be 2.5
(.5 of Kevin's time, 0.5 of Lisa's time, 0.5 of Sam's time and 1 of
Bill's
time). However this formula gets me 1.25.

Similarly Proj 2 in B11 should be 1 (0.5 of John's time, 0.5 of Lisa's
time)
and Proj3 (b12) should be 1.5 (0.5 of Kevin's time, 0.5 of John's time
and
0.5 of Sam's time)

Am I missing something in the formula?

Well, I guess I didn't understand afterall!

Your explanation above makes it clear. Hmmm...... this isn't going to be
complicated, it's going to be extremely complicated!!!

Let's see if I can figure it out. No guarantees!

Biff