Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jonhunt

Default Moving cell data and separating or deleting

Mas,

Thanks. I'd been working on this after posting the thread and found
another way to make it work...posted below, but I followed your example
and it works great. But what do you mean by "freeze the values....then
do an in place.?"

Thanks
1. Insert a new column B
2. In B1 write: =a2
3. Select B1 and fill the remainder of B
4. Select Column B and go to Edit and select Copy, then select Paste
Special and Values and select OKAY. (You are basically replacing the
contents with the exact contents but without references.
5. Now select your entire range of filled cells. Go to Data and Sort by
Column A.
6. Now you can easily select the range of cells in Column A that have
only numbers and deleted those. You can select the range of cell sin
Column B that have only names and delete those. You are left with
Column A showing the account names and Column B showing account numbers
and phone numbers.
7. Now Select Column B and go to select the entire column and go to
Data and select Convert Text to Columns, then select fixed width. Move
the vertical line that separates the area code from the phone number to
the right of the phone number. Select Next and Finish and say yes to the
question of replacing contents.

--
jonhunt
jonhunt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35370