Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Default turn off convert text to date (i.e. 4-9 to April 9, 2006)

If you're using Data|Text to columns, then make sure you choose Text for that
field.

" wrote:

Doesn't work, unfortunately. I'm using the text-to-columns feature,
and that may be overriding the cell formatting but I'm not sure...

Bondi wrote:
wrote:
How do I prevent Excel from automatically converting text that looks
like a date into a date. For example, if I type in 5-23 or 5/23, I
need to prevent Excel from converting it into May 23, 2006. In the
data I have, such text is not a date. Putting a single quote in front
of the apparent date to make it text is not a feasible option.

Similarly, does anyone know how turn off all the automatic formatting
in Word?

Hi,

If you format the cells as Text befor you write 5-23 i belive it will
stay that way and not turn it into a date.

Regards,
Bondi

--

Dave Peterson